Overseas Exhibitors

Travel photo We welcome exhibitors to our shows from overseas - those that have been to our shows have really enjoyed them. This page provides information about the UK PETS Travel Scheme and what you need to do so that you and your cat(s) can enter the UK without problems.

From 1 Jan 2012, the entry requirements under the UK PETS are now the same as for the rest of the EU. Advice about travel routes is given below. The specific UK legislation is the The Non-Commercial Movement of Pet Animals Order 2011.

Please note that the information on this web-site is believed correct at the time of writing, but the official source of information is the UK Government's Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). Their PETS Helpline can be contacted by phone at +44 870 241 1710 (Monday - Friday: 08:00 to 18:00, UK time) or via email to pettravel@ahvla.gsi.gov.uk (please include an address and telephone number in the mail).

Haustier-Reiseverkehrsregelung - Britische Botschaft (Deutsche)

Programme de voyage des animaux de compagnie - Ambassade de Grande-Bretagne (Francais)

The Requirements

To enter the UK without quarantine, the following steps must be taken:

Note that there is a limit of 5 cats per person when entering or leaving the UK. Exceptions are available if the visit is for showing or competition purposes - see the DEFRA website.

  1. Your cat must be micro-chipped and be at least 3 calendar months old (the microchip should conform to ISO standard 11784 or Annex A of ISO Standard 11785).
  2. Your cat must be vaccinated against rabies after the microchip has been inserted.
  3. Wait 21 days from the date of the first vaccination (if the initial vaccination is in two parts, then the 21 days is from the date of the second vaccination)
  4. Obtain for the cat a Pet Passport (EU countries) or an official certificate containing this information (non-EU countries).
  5. Use an approved travel route to enter the UK

A wait of 21 days is not required if subsequent rabies vaccinations are kept up to date.

On checking in for your journey to the UK, your Pet Passport (or official certificate) will be carefully checked, and the microchip number on the document will be checked with a scanner against the microchip in your cat. If you do not have an ISO standard microchip, you will need to provide your own microchip scanner.

Usually, if the documentation is not correct, you will not be allowed to travel.

Advice on Travel Routes

Only approved travel routes can be used to enter the UK when travelling with your cat. Routes are from either an EU country or a list of "third-party" countries such as the USA. The DEFRA website lists currently approved transport routes.

From mainland Europe, most exhibitors have found that Eurotunnel is the most convenient travel route although some prefer car ferries.

Entering the UK by air usually means that the cat(s ) have to travel in the hold as "live cargo" - and this is arranged through the airline’s cargo division.

US Exhibitors

Airplane photo Travel information from the USA can be found here.

Airline routes frequently change, but (apart from some chartered planes) only the cargo divisions are approved carriers, which means that the cat must travel in the hold as "live cargo".

Visitors from the US might like to consider flying into Brussels or Paris with the cat in the cabin, then hiring a car at the airport to travel via Eurotunnel to the UK.